Back to: Module: Helping Students Read
Pre-Reading Strategies: Clustering and Concept Mapping
- This site gives an easy-to-follow example of clustering.
- This web site offers step-by-step directions for helping students develop concept maps.
During- and After-Reading Activities
- This site offers a form for students to use to write about a novel they’ve read independently.
- This notebook gives descriptions of different kinds of classroom book clubs, or book circles.
- This source from Santa Fe public schools defines close reading and tells what types of reading selections it should be used with.
- This web site discusses close reading in terms of the Common Core and gives examples of close reading questions.
Silent Reading Practice
- This article summarizes several research studies on sustained silent reading programs.
- A well-known educator lists 81 reasons to use sustained silent reading in the classroom.