Good reading lessons include several different types of activities.
- build skills;
- focus on the meaning of the text
- encourage students to think about new ideas
- should be enjoyable,
- give students a chance to show they can do something well or come up with good answers.
- keep students thinking and doing things, not just sitting there watching.
Most recipes include two parts: a list of ingredients and a set of instructions. Reading lessons have the same:
- Main ingredients include: the skills and knowledge
- Speciality ingredients include: the many bits of reading instruction content we have covered
- Scope (parts of the reading lesson)
- Sequence (the step by step of the lesson)- they relate the prior knowledge and connect to new skills