Back to: Module: Helping Students Do Math
- Reread the scenario involving Jessica from the Introductory Challenge.
- If you haven’t already, go through the illustration on learning progressions in this unit.
- Then answer the three questions below, either alone or with a group.
- If you were working as a paraprofessional in Jessica’s class on the day she returned from her illness, how could you have helped her with the handout on line symmetry?
- In the days following her illness, Jessica made the (bad) decision to just give up and wait for the next unit to start. How would you advise a student in that situation?
- What can you do when you see a student becoming overwhelmed with a math topic or assignment? (Challenge hint: For best results, combine what you learned from Unit 2 on emotions and attitudes towards math with what you learned in this unit about learning progressions!)