Back to: Module: Helping Students Do Math
- Reread the scenario involving Jessica and Sam from the Introductory Challenge.
- Then answer the three questions below, either alone or with a group.
- After going through this unit, what advice would you give to a student who does not read the math textbook at all? (Note: Your advice might depend on why the student is not reading the textbook!)
- What advice would you give to someone like Jessica, who claims to read the textbook, but doesn’t get anything out of it?
- In-class instruction and textbook reading are both important parts of math learning. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each one? How can you encourage students to take advantage of the support for learning provided by the textbook?