Guiding Oral Reading
The site below describes how to talk about phrasing to students and shows a passage marked to indicate phrasing in the oral reading of one passage.
Different Methods of Oral Reading Instruction
- This site tells how to prepare students for choral reading and also describes different kinds of choral reading.
- This children’s hospital site describes to parents how to whisper read to their child; the suggestions can apply to the classroom.
- This site describes the benefits of echo reading for different grade levels.
- This American Library Association web site describes partner reading at work.
- This site provides multicultural poems for choral reading and for echo reading.
Evaluating Oral Reading
- A Utah web site shows reading rates and accuracy recommended for different grade levels.
- This web site’s rubric for evaluating oral reading can be used for several grade levels.
- This rubric evaluates students’ oral reading on expression and volume, phrasing, smoothness, and pace.